2020-06-14 13:48:21 +0000 UTC by QuietDove
AvatarMC Soon™ - Issue 68: Bending Tournament v.12 + Bending Tweaks Event: Gaoling Bending Tournament // AvatarMC Discord
It's time for the twelfth iteration of the bending tournament!
As a very special treat, we will be previewing some new moves for each element during this tournament. The moves will be released as part of the upcoming v0.6 update. As we want our bending system to be as balanced as possible, this play-testing will be invaluable in helping our bending design team fix any issues before the wider release.
A few details on the moves can be found below:
- Wind Carry (Air) - A projectile of pure wind is launched, carrying all targets with it and protecting them from fall damage.
- 10 seconds cooldown.
- 0.75 projectile duration.
- 6 block radius on the projectile.
- 20 blocks per second speed.
- 15 block range.
- Can be reoriented.
- Ice Spear (Water) - Manipulate the ice beneath your feet to create a long-range missile that will damage players and convert terrain to ice upon impact.
- 20 seconds cooldown.
- 60 block range.
- 30 blocks per second speed.
- Can be reoriented
- Converts a five block radius of terrain to ice.
- Applies 3 seconds of Slowness III
- Costs 150 energy
- Player damage is 60+3% of Max HP. Mob damage is 120.
- Earth Surf (Earth) - Ride on a boulder at high speed, and use it as a source for your attacks.
- 40 energy per second cost for first 5 seconds after casting, increasing to 60 afterwards.
- Breaks when going over non-earth terrain.
- Functions as a source block for earthbending.
- Breaks after taking 20 damage.
- 3 seconds cooldown after cancelling the move.
- Kickback (Fire) - After leaping into the air, launch three blasts of fire and be propelled by the kickback from them. Regular cast propels forward, shift cast propels backwards.
- 40 blocks per second speed.
- 20 block range.
- Individual shots cannot be reoriented.
- Player damage is 20 per projectile. Mob damage is 40.
- 50 energy cost upfront, drains 40 per second.
- Ends after three blasts, or when the player touches the ground.
- 15 second cooldown.
- Grappling Hook (Non-Bending) - Fire a grappling hook, pulling yourself towards the targeted block or silencing+slowing any player you hit.
- 5 second cooldown.
- 20 block range.
- Cannot be reoriented.
- 80 block per second speed.
- Applies Slowness III and Silence for two seconds upon impact, with the cooldown increasing to 13 seconds.
- Shift varient will pull the target towards you instead of applying the debuffs.
Additionally, a series of other bending tweaks are being trialed in this tournament, with a view to them being included in the upcoming release. These are listed below:
- The major change for water is the addition of buckets being used as a source for certain moves. Some of you may have spotted the, less than subtle, hints in our v0.6 teaser post. Bolt, Blast, Whip, and Splash can now be cast with a bucket of water in your inventory.
- Healing has been given a fairly large change. It must be cast whilst standing in water, and you will be silenced and rooted during the casting. Your armour penetration stat will also be temporarily reduced during and after casting. The move is toggleable, so healing can be stopped whenever you want. The healing itself will be slow at the start, but will increase as time goes on.
- Moisture Drain has been tweaked. Instead of converting grass blocks to water, a disc of water will appear on the surface of target blocks. In addition, leaves can now be converted to water with this move.
- Air Burst has had its cooldown increased to 4.5 seconds.
- Air Dodge has had its cooldown increased to 0.25 seconds. It will also no longer apply Resistance VI, and will instead increase protection by 15 points, for 0.25 seconds.
- Featherweights saturation effect has been removed.
- Glider Boost will now cost 10 energy per cast.
- Gust has had it's cooldown increased to 3 seconds.
- Jumps speed increase has been reduced to 3 and its cooldown is now up to 8 seconds. Additionally, it now costs 60 energy to cast.
- Spears' cooldown has been slightly increased to 1.5 seconds. Its player damage has been halved to 10, with its percentage damage now 0%. Mob damage has been dropped to 30.
- Earth Armour protection has been halved, due to the new stat system.
- Boulder Toss' High Energy Source Block distance has been increased to 12
- Cages' cooldown has been increased to 25 seconds
- Shackles' cooldown has also been increased to 25 seconds. A new mechanic has also been applied to Shackle, Scaling Silence. The silence effect will now scale from 3 to 5 seconds, with the effect increasing the further the projectile travels.
- Wall has had its range increased to 18. The knock up has also been increased, to mitigate suffication.
- Blast Waves' and Kicks' High Noon damage bonus has been reduced to +20
- Dodge has had fall damage prevention removed.
- Heat Controls' energy cost has been reduced to 25
- Jet has had it's shift cooldown increased to 9 seconds. Its speed has been given a slight increase to 0.65. The damage to cancel has also been halved to 10.
- Arrow Rains' arrow count has been increased to 10.
- Blow Dart has had its speed reduced to 55
- Chi Block, Disarm and Slash have had bug fixes that solve the issue of hits not registering properly on retreating targets.
- Falcon Strikes' cooldown has been increased to 45 seconds.
- Throwing Knife has had its projectile speed decreased to 50, its damage reduced to 20, and its hitbox size reduced to 0.5.
Stat System Tweaks:
There will also be some changes to the stat system trialled in this tournament. At their base level, the changes equate to there now being diminishing returns on levels as you put points into them.
This essentially means that the more points you put into a stat, the less effective the increase becomes. Balancing your stats more will now be a more efficient way of spending your points.
Please read below for more information about the rest of the tournament:
- When will it be?
- The event will take place on Saturday, June 20 at 19:00 UTC. Please use your trusty friend Google to find exactly what time this is in your time-zone. World Time Buddy is a helpful resource.
- How do I join?
- Please join the Discord and sign up in the Tournament Chat or message a moderator / chat moderator in-game. You can always sign up at the event, but you may not be paired with someone who best matches your skill level—so sign up as soon as you can!
- Am I limited to the bending I chose?
- No! This event will take place off the main server by typing
/server event once the event is open for joining. You will be able to select any bending you wish and change it at any point before the tournament officially starts. The event server will be open 30 minutes before the tournament starts to allow players to have time to pick.
- Will there be elytras?
- At the moment, we have decided to not provide elytras for players to use. These can be used to avoid combat completely by Airbenders and serve no purpose in combat since they are disabled after taking damage.
- Will we be able to eat to heal during the match?
- No. In the past when we've allowed food and healing, matches lasted far longer than anyone felt was enjoyable. Because of that, health restoration from eating will be disabled. However, you will be able to eat while outside the arena and water healing moves will be allowed.
- Will there be stats and levels?
- Just like on the main server you will have stat points to allocate using
/c. You will be automatically set to max level and have all moves available from the moment you select a bending. You can reset your stats throughout the tournament to change your build based on the bender you will be fighting by speaking to the stat spirit near spawn.
- Will there be rewards?
- First Place: 300,000¥
- Second Place: 150,000¥
- Third Place: 80,000¥
- Fourth Place 50,000¥
- Participation: Everyone who signs up for the tournament and participates in it without missing any matches will receive a participation prize. This will consist of 4 spirit essence and a tea leaf. Winners will receive these as well.
- As an additional reward for this month, every participant will be entered into a raffle to win $20 of cosmetics from the server store. Two lucky players will be able to claim this prize!
- How do I join the Discord?
- You can simply join with this direct invite. Below are instructions to link your AvatarMC account with Discord; however, this is not required!
- First, you need to create an AvatarMC Forum account by performing
/register while on the server.
- Once you have the forum account set up, go to discord.avatarmc.com and log in with your forum information. This will link your account to your Discord account.
- If you already have an AvatarMC Forum account, but don't remember your log-in information, please contact GuoKao.
- Various notes on how the event will function:
- The tournament will operate off of a public leaderboard that you can request the link to at any time (after the tournament has started).
- Veterans will face veterans in the first rounds, and newer players will face newer players. Veteran players will fight first. This is to give the new players an opportunity to watch and learn from the fights before and give them a better chance at beating a veteran player.
- Players who lose in the semi-final fights will match against each other to determine 3rd and 4th place.
- Time will be controlled so that Firebenders and Waterbenders will receive their day or night damage boosts throughout the fight for only part of the fight. High noon bonus and full moon bonus will not occur in any fight.
- This tournament is not only a way for you to earn free money, but also a way for us to gain balancing opinions on the elements. After the tournament, do not be afraid to share your opinions on the server Discord or on the forums!
If you have any questions regarding the event, you can ask in our Discord or message a moderator in-game.
We hope you join the fight on Saturday, June 20 at 19:00 UTC!